Saturday, February 9, 2019

William T. Wiley


            William T. Wiley  P.T.S.D. Tires  2009  watercolor and ink on paper  30" x 22"
             hosfeltgallery.com
William T. Wiley has been and continues to be a viable force in contemporary art practice in California and especially Northern California where he resides. He taught at U.C. Davis along with Robert  Arneson, Richard Shaw as well as Bruce Nauman.

Wiley influenced and entire generation of artists, including myself, with his wry wit and consummate drawing skills. He, along with Robert Arneson and Richard Shaw and others comprised the nexus of the San Francisco Funk movement in the 60's. This movement coincided with the Imagist groups in Chicago about the same time and was a prime factor in my attending SAIC in the mid 70's. Needless to say, they were out of the main stream of artistic style and thought coming from the high priest critics in New York at the time. I will always be grateful to these  groups for tacitly giving me the permission to pursue my path as I stumble through my endeavors as an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment